Old May 16th 15, 08:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

Default Cadillac runaway acceleration

On 05/15/2015 02:49 PM, Brent wrote:
> On 2015-05-15, The Real Bev > wrote:
>
>> The bad news, which was ameliorated before by replacing the return
>> spring with a heavier one: bad bushings in the throttle body, allowing
>> sticking, slop, etc. No replacement possible, unless maybe from a
>> wreck.

> There's where the air is getting in causing the increasing speed/rpm. It
> depends on what the bushings look like but they can probably be
> easily made, found generically as hardware, or removed from any number
> of GM cars.
>
>> The AC is shot, along with the shocks.

> Shocks get expensive with someone else replacing them.

I know, but I just don't have the mental energy or painless back
required for the job any more. Long ago I thought it would be cool to
have a grease pit in the back yard. I still think it would be cool, but
not having one is an excellent reason to pay somebody else to do
something :-)

>> The front tires are 12
>> years old. The headliner is held up with long ball-headed pins to keep
>> it from flapping.

> GM has been using headliner glue that lets go after 15 years for 30+
> years.

GM is evil. Not stupid, evil. Not just planned obsolescence, planned
destruction.

>> The driver-side window will only go down 6" or so.

> regulator issue. Probably a broken gear. A plastic gear knowing GM.

Probably. The 1960 Ford broke the little plastic roller that pushed on
the window to roll it up and down. 25-cent part, taking the **** off
the door was the troublesome part. Probably the same here, except for
the gear-grinding noise at the top and bottom. More crap. Oh yeah, the
interior door-puller broke so I have to close the door by hooking my
fingers into the space between the window and its frame.

>> Lots of plastic bits are just broken.

>> I truly wish my mom had asked us before buying this POS. A "luxury" car
>> with 85,000 miles on the clock should NOT need this much crap in
>> addition to the crap it's already demanded.

> With the issues you're talking about miles aren't the problem but years.
> It's all materials degrading over time and exposure to the elements.

The paint is in fair condition, though :-(

--
Cheers, Bev