Old May 16th 15, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Default Cadillac runaway acceleration

The Real Bev > wrote:

>The bad news, which was ameliorated before by replacing the return
>spring with a heavier one: bad bushings in the throttle body, allowing
>sticking, slop, etc. No replacement possible, unless maybe from a
>wreck.

Bingo. That's exactly the sort of thing I was suggesting and the reason
why I was suggesting playing with the throttle by hand.

Take the throttle body off (you can do it yourself, it's not a big deal)
and take it to a machine shop. Have them see if they can rebush it.
They'll have to cut new bushings on a lathe out of oilite stock, but it's
not really all that difficult.

> The AC is shot, along with the shocks. The front tires are 12
>years old. The headliner is held up with long ball-headed pins to keep
>it from flapping. The driver-side window will only go down 6" or so.
>Lots of plastic bits are just broken.
>
>I truly wish my mom had asked us before buying this POS. A "luxury" car
>with 85,000 miles on the clock should NOT need this much crap in
>addition to the crap it's already demanded.

GM quality has improved a lot since this car was made. It hasn't improved
enough, mind you, but things are much better today.
--scott