Old February 18th 08, 08:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Default Fuel smell

You,d think you would be able to see any leaks big enough to cause a smell.
No leaks from the carbie anywhere? Or the fuel pump?.
There is some cheap and nasty hose clips around that dont have a ( I cant
think of a better word) tongue that extends across under the screw
of the hose clip so that the entire circumference of the hose is compressed.
If it doesnt have that, as you tighten the screw the hose bunches up under
the screw and forms a little tunnel for fuel to leak. In some ways those
horrible little clips you put on with pliers are better, they suuround the
entire hose.
The original cloth covered hose has done me well for the last 40 years so
its up to the task. Also used hose form auto suppliers with no problem as
well.
Cheers
John

u...