Old March 21st 13, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Default Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistorfailures

In article >, jim beam > wrote:

>> I don't see why it is so hard to unpot one of these things and repair them
>> directly, especially if it's a semiconductor failure. Put a bigger transistor
>> in there.

>unpotting is a nightmare - it will take much less time to build your own
>pwm controller. who knows, maybe you can switch the existing unit???!!!

Unpotting is fun, it's a nice change in the day to just sit down for a couple
hours with a dremel tool and a dental pick.

But I agree, building an aftermarket controller replacement would not be
a tremendously difficult thing to do, and it might be a highly profitable
one.
--scott