Old March 8th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4,uk.rec.cars.4x4
José Rui Faustino de Sousa

Default Request for buying advice.

Hi!

"Steve Firth" > wrote in message
> José Rui Faustino de Sousa > wrote:
> If you want to seat five in comfort

Resonable confort. I mostly do not want longitudinal benches, anything
else will probably be good enough.

> than SWB vehicles are all going to
> be a compromise in either ability to carry luggage or legroom.

Yes I understand that.

> On longer
> trips there's usually a requirement to take at least one bag for each
> passenger plus some extra supplies such as water / food.

Let me qualify longer... ;-)

Probably less tan 1000km.

> Land Cruisers - Excellent, especially the 4.2 diesels.

Yes those are the heavy-duty ones. If they were available here I would
not be asking what to buy. ;-)

> Pajero / Shogun my sister in law has one. It's been a good vehicle and
> has held together for many years. It's decent off road, a bit rough on
> road but acceptable.

I was under the impression that it was more of a road vehicle than the
others.

> Daihatsu Fourtrak

Daihatsu Rocky or Bertone Freeclimber here. I did not knew about these.

> Nissan Terrano / Ford Maverick

I find them terribly ugly. And probably would prefer a Patrol GR.

> Daewoo / Ssang Yong Korando

I had the impression that it had bad attack angles with that long snout.
I will look again.

> Isuzu / Opel - Frontera/Mu/Bravo

I was under the impression that the Monterey/Trooper would be a better
option.

> UMM Alter - Good alternative to a Defender.

That is my car! I have a UMM Trofeu, the Alter II competition model. I
love it!

But 20 years is bit too much it is time to retire.

The family grew in the mean time and I am looking for some extra
confort.

> Santana - must be available down your part of the world. A Spanish
> built
> alternative to Land Rover with sensible engines.

Rare here. About the same as a Series III. Too old a design I think.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
José Rui