Old May 7th 13, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Leary

Default 6V to 12 conversion q.

"Jorge" wrote in message
> a neighbor with a '60 bug asked me how difficult it is to go 12 volt.
> I thought the starter was the worst of it.
> tho you can spin a 6v starter with 12volt. isn't it easier to rebush the
> tranny and find a bendix that fits the ring gear?
> where can one get this?

I converted an, I think, '64 bug from 6V to 12V back in the '70's. But in
my case it was because I put in the motor from a late '70's bug, 12V
alternator rather than 6V generator, that had been in a front end collision.
I got them to throw in the starter. Ground out the transmission housing a
bit to let the flywheel fit. Starter bolted right in. Had to replace all
the light bulbs, not forgetting the dash board lights. And had to put a
piece of plywood on top of the battery because the 12V one was just a bit
too tall and if someone heavy enough sat on that side of the back seat it
would short out.

Not your situation, though.

Before I talked them into giving me the starter, I looked into replacing the
gear on the starter with the right one for the new engine. That would be a
6V Starter with a 12V starter gear. It turned out the starter rebuild shop
could do the job for a reasonable price. I expect you could do it the other
way around too.

I have to wonder if your bigger problem isn't going to be a 12V generator.

- Bill