Old February 23rd 05, 07:43 PM
bgt

"HardwareLust" > wrote in message
news:TE4Td.38384$uc.12964@trnddc08...

> "Randy Maheux" > wrote in message
>> In 5 weeks I will be moving from San Diego to the Daytona Beach area. My
>> problem is getting my Miata back east. I could drive it in 4 - 12 hour

> days
>> or pay Mayflower to haul it with my furniture. Nine years ago I was a
>> zombie after driving a Ford Ranger from Tampa to San Diego in 4 days.

> Now,
>> at age 60, I am really tempted to let the movers do it. Using Mayflower
>> adds $600 to the cost but the thought of 45 hours in a car that I can't

> take
>> a nap in seems daunting. I might even come to hate my dual exhaust by
>> the
>> time I got there!
>>
>> My thinking seems stuck on weighing the cost against the discomfort.
>> Perhaps, someone in the group can give me other factors to consider or
>> things to look out for if I decide to ship the car. I could really use

> some
>> group wisdom on this....

> Randy, I'm 20+ years younger than you, and there's no way in hell that I
> would want to drive my NB Miata for 45 hours. I once drove to my mom's
> house about 15 hours away in my NA, and I swore I would never do that
> again.
> I couldn't imagine doing a 45 hour drive.
>
> Think of it this way...how much is your time worth? $600 / 45 hours =
> $13.33 an hour. I would gladly pay someone $13 an hour to get 45 hours of
> my life back. Also, don't forget driving the old girl ain't free. I'd
> figure it'd cost you, what, $200-ish just in gas, plus motel(s) and food?
> So, by driving you're only really saving maybe 1/2 of that $600 or less,
> plus you're out 45 hours of your time, which you will never get back.
>
> Now, if you had the extra time, and could take your sweet time doing it,
> driving coast-to-coast could be fun, if you had time to stop along the
> way,
> take interesting back roads, etc. But if you're just going to drone on
> down
> the big freeway at max speed just to get there, then I say ship the darn
> thing. $600 ain't a bad price to have your car shipped, either, so it's
> not
> like they're ripping you off on the price.
>
> It sounds simple to me. Ship it, and enjoy the reunion when you get to
> sunny Florida.
>
> Regards,
> H.

I'm sorta in the other camp, I'd suggest leaving the car with a friend
during your move, then go back and get it if you can make time for a road
trip. I bought my Miata in socal and drove it home over three days (I'm
North of the Border in the Great White North), not too bad, but if I had it
to do over again I'd take 5-7 days and make a holiday of it. Don't know if
the extended road trip can fit into your plans, but it can be a good way to
see the countryside. If there are time constraints ... no contest, just ship
it.

BGT