Old January 10th 09, 03:17 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.saturn
sharx35

Default Some states want to punish fuel-efficient car drivers!

"Scott in SoCal" > wrote in message
> In message >, "P J"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Jay Giuliani" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> Just suck it up and raise the gas tax.

>>That causes people to drive even less, so it could get into a vicious
>>cycle. Reminds me the nicotin taxes that became such a large part of
>>state revenues. The more they raise it, the less they get out of it.

> In Canada they raised the cigarette tax so high at one point that
> people actually <gasp!> cut back on their smoking and revenue started
> to fall off. They promptly lowered the tax.
>
> But our addiction to oil is much, much worse than our addiction to
> nicotine. For most people, it's MUCH easier to cut back on smoking
> than it is to cut back on driving.

Smoking is totally nonessential. SOME driving is essential. However, in my
observation, ONE trip
a week to buy groceries is all that is needed. Fess up, how many of you make
MORE than one driving trip a week
to buy groceries? Clue: one does NOT need fresh lettuce every frigging
day--it WILL keep for a fair while in the fridge.
I buy gas every TWO weeks, groceries every TWO weeks, except for milk which
I buy ONCE a week. Library trips are ONCE a week. No need to rent or buy
DVD's etc..I get them on my WEEKLY library trips..which I often walk to,
BTW.

Commuting for hours is pure bull**** most of the time. Surely, you can MOVE
closer if the job has any permanence at all. I have NO sympathy for those
who commute for HOURS year, after year, after year. Live closer to where you
work, damnit.