Old January 9th 09, 08:53 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.volvo,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.makers.saturn
P J

Default Some states want to punish fuel-efficient car drivers!

"Scott in SoCal" > wrote:
> In Canada they raised the cigarette tax so high at one point that
> people actually <gasp!> cut back on their smoking and revenue started
> to fall off. They promptly lowered the tax.

Whoa, that's something!

> But our addiction to oil is much, much worse than our addiction to
> nicotine. For most people, it's MUCH easier to cut back on smoking
> than it is to cut back on driving.

True, but for many driving is a necessity of life, while smoking is not.
Being able to go wherever you want and whenever you want is also an
important part of freedom that public transportation can not provide as
fully as one's own car. Most politicians know it and that's why they
feel they can tax it to death and there will still be people driving.
pj