Old September 7th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.motorcycles,ca.driving,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.

Default California Motorcycle & Automobile Riding & Driving & WrittenTests

P. Roehling wrote:
> "Steve W." > wrote
>
>> From looking at the CA tests and the written examples they post it looks
>> easier than the NY test I took.
>>
>> Ours is a 25 question written test, then a riding test where you provide a
>> vehicle for the brownie who then follows you around on the course (usually
>> just normal streets, traffic and all). You listen for the chase vehicles
>> horn to tell you to turn left/right/stop. Then you do a maneuvering test,
>> One left loop one right loop, one figure 8. If you touch your feet or the
>> curb during any of them you fail. The usual area you do these on is a
>> narrow side street, about 16 feet wide or so. Took mine on a Gold Wing and
>> passed the entire thing in one shot.

> Thank you, Steve.
>
> These "California's driving tests are unfair" threads pop up every so often;
> and we'd all probably take them a lot more seriously if they weren't
> invariably posted by somebody who couldn't hack the test and now wants to
> cry about it in public.
>
> The assumption that the tests *must* be unfair because the poster couldn't
> pass them gives us a snapshot of the current American attitude towards life:
> "I'm entitled to be given whatever I want. I shouldn't have to *earn*
> anything!"

Same attitude out here. Everyone seems to think they should be handed
anything they want. School kids on up all seem to think they are
entitled to stuff.

When I took my test the guy just before me failed when he touched down
on the figure 8. He was complaining about it while waiting for the
brownie to finish his paperwork. When I told him I was taking the test
on the 'wing he kind of looked shocked. I told him I already had about
10 years of saddle time.

You just need to know what the bike can do and what YOU can do on it.
When I got the Venture Royale I currently ride I decided to see just how
far it could be pushed. It just amazes the squids when this fat 41 year
old blows by them on turns with sparks flying from the pegs, while the
stereo plays some Glenn Miller!!!

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York