Old June 20th 04, 11:30 AM
Tim Shoppa

Philip Nasadowski > wrote in message >...
> The refill is genuine Dexron ATF, available just about anywhere. You
> can be a snob and use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, I don't think it makes much
> of a difference.
>
> Look at your ATF when it comes out. It should be RED, not red and
> chunky, not brown and chunky. Mine was brown and chunky when it came
> out. No idea why. Refilled, it seems to drive better, but that's a
> placeibo efect, IMHO.

At how many miles was this done? Was there an earlier change done?

I don't know what your manual says, but my 92 SL1 manual says that
the gearbox oil is changed at 6k miles - presumably to drain out
the early wear gunk. Was this done on yours? Or
do you have a used car and the answer is that you don't know?

I've drained red ATF with a noticable amount of tiny shiny metal filings
but I've never seen brown and chunky...

Tim.