Old August 7th 10, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
T i m

Default 83 HiLix pickup tow bar?

On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 08:53:20 -0400, PeterD > wrote:

>>The problem is even with the truck fairly well loaded (a bed full of
>>red cedar and other gear) this bar is a good 500mm off the road and I
>>understand the optimum height for the ball mounting holes should be
>>more like 300mm? (to allow a ball to bring it back up to a nominal
>>380mm 'laden').
>>
>>I've also compared what is there already against a scaleable diagram
>>of another towbar and it seems the two are pretty close re the key
>>dimensions. However, the drawing was for a Toyota HiLux 4x4 and I
>>think the crucial but missing info may be 'pickup'?
>>
>>So, can anyone confirm a 1983 HiLux 4x4 Pickup would look like it had
>>been 'lifted' from std (large gaps over the wheels to the
>>wheel-arches) or has this one actually been lifted somehow (we can't
>>see where and don't believe it was done by the po who had it from
>>nearly new) please?
>>

>You are towing it backwards?

Not towed anything yet, not got a tow ball fitted. ;-)

>I doubt 150 MM will make much difference, but what about a drop/raise
>hitch assembly?

Yes, that would do but I would still have to fabricate a support for
the lower end?

I was looking at a few Hi-Li today, although they were mostly later
models and they used a different design of bar (they tended to hook
'over' the top of the rear chassis rails and had a much longer drop).

Looking at the existing design on our I might be able to drop the bar
a bit where it joins the support bracket / plates and again with a
drop plate. However I may also look to see how I could brace from the
bottom of the assembly back up to the chassis somewhere (without
impacting on access to the spare wheel etc).

Cheers, T i m