Old January 8th 05, 01:10 AM
Dana H. Myers

> Check engine light JUST came on... so I immediately pulled out the code
> reader & got:
>
> 0307: Cylinder 7 Misfire Detected
> 0174: System too lean (Bank 2)
>
> Car stumbles/hesitates when accelerating... idles fairly rough. Any ideas??
> Thanks in advance!

I'm not an automotive service tech, so this advice
may be worth what you paid for it. :-)

For the most part, engines don't work correctly when
there's a problem with fuel or ignition (or both).
You're apparently having a problem with one cylinder,
and a too lean condition suggests a problem with
fuel. So you might have a dirty/clogged/tired
injector on cylinder #7, but that's just a guess
without looking at the car at all.

First pull the plug on cylinder #7 and make sure it's
not fouled and is gapped correctly, and make sure the
plug wire isn't arcing to the engine anywhere. I'd
expect faulty ignition on one cylinder to lead to a
rich exhaust condition, actually, but it's worth
checking.

Also check for a loose hose or fitting, and rule out
a vacuum leak.

I'd run a bottle of Techron injector cleaner on the
next fill-up, but, if everything else is working
correctly, you may need professional injector service.

A malfunctioning IAC will make the entire engine
idle low/roughly but I doubt that it would lead to a
lean condition on one bank only.

Good luck -
Dana