Old April 26th 10, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Default Newbie question

Don Q wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have always been a car nut, but circumstances have not always been
> favorable. I am now heading into what we might call an end of life
> crisis; getting ready to buy a nice car.
>
> My first inclination is the mx-5. And surely, in this forum of all
> places it is not difficult to find support for that.
>
> However the elder son is pushing for an Elise, and the wife would prefer
> that I go for the SLK.
>
> I figure if someone in a Miata forum can make a good case for either of
> the other two I should pay attention.
>
> Appreciate your thoughts...
>
> Don

I agree with what Don said.
The Miata probably wins in terms of practicality, resale value,
reliability, service, and its large, extremely helpful and enthusiastic
community of owners that is unlike any other.
The SLK is in a totally different class with luxury and comfort put
ahead of everything else. And the funny thing about all that luxury is
that once the top is down it pretty much all goes out the window to so
speak.
I would love an Elise and feel it is actually the one reasonably priced
(albeit it greater) alternative to the Miata which offers a better
driving experiencing. However it is even less luxurious than a Miata.
It comes standard with rubber carpets. Early models did not even come
fitted with a radio. The noise is also louder than a Miata and the top
is not completely open like a Miata. On the used market a late model
Elise can be had for a very reasonable price.
One other car that you may want to consider is the new BMW Z4. It is
quite a departure in looks than the older Z models, is luxurious and yet
still very sporty. I like the handling of the older Z cars but their
maintenance cost was very high and they just didn't last which is why
you rarely see the older ones on the road.
Whatever you choose, I think deciding between these models is a very
nice problem to have.