Old November 14th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Default Microsoft wheel

Lemme rephrase 2 things...

Plowboy wrote:
> Technically you all are at least half wrong from my experience in
> Sidewinder and monitoring this beard of the last 5 years...

this word here that I typo' d ^^should been BOARD

> I have knowledge that something in windows XP service pak2 screws up
> the installation, (something to do with scripting that was an open
> hole for security). If you have a PreService pack 2 install disk,
> install the wheel before you do win updates. Hell I even got this
> wheel (sidewinder FF wheel) working under RC1 of vista, by installing
> the wheel before I did the upgrades for xp, then installed the trial
> version of Vista as an "upgrade"...
>
> Yes, in any case, XP did warn you it was not software for "your
> version of windows", but we go ahead and install it and all the
> profiles anyway.

YOu can install and half heartedly use the "profier app" if you have SP2
already built in on your version of XP, But I repeat something in
ServicePack2 ruins the ability to change profiles from inside the
controlpanel appication that is in use when you install the driver and
profiles, ONLY if you install SIDEWINDER software, after XP service Pack 2
is INSTALLED...

> I do not know the work around after you allow XP to install the drivers
> and software, after XP is patched to SP2. But I do know you cannot mess
> with the particulars of profiles but I was sure you could "select a known
> good profile" &use it, if you had one.

If you need one to test my theory, pick the GPL or get a profile from a
buddy. AGAIN you cant get in to see what the settins are or anything, but
you would at least have controls setup seperate etc. I recomend maybe find
a POS 98 machine install the SW temporarily to harvest profiles? <<that
would be the hard way>>

I created the one I use, from the GPL one supplied, with seperate pedals and
all that. this allowed