Old March 9th 18, 08:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default Do we really need to use "dri gas" anymore?

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 11:16:43 AM UTC-10,
> wrote:
>> Years ago it was common to put a can of "dri gas" into the tank
>> with each fill up to absorb any water that might have gotten into
>> the fuel. After awhile we were told that the dri gas was added at
>> the refinery to prevent problems in the delivery trucks and so it
>> as not needed anymore. Now with the 10 percent ethanol we have in
>> the gas is it really helpful or necessary for that matter to even
>> use it at all? Lenny

> My guess is that you don't need any that stuff any more. I can't see
> why you'd need it at all since cars have a sealed fuel system these
> days.

Show me a car that has a sealed system that actually runs. They are all
vented through the charcoal canister. Water vapor can still get in as
well as the amount that is already absorbed into the ethanol in the gas.

Dri-Gas can be helpful if you are using gas that has been stored a while
or that came from a store with low fuel sales. Or if you run straight
gas without ethanol like I do in all the small engines and vehicles when
possible.

--
Steve W.