Old October 18th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Most fuel efficient RPM?

On Oct 17, 9:46 pm, Scott in SoCal > wrote:
> " > said in rec.autos.driving:
>

> >On Oct 17, 4:15 pm, (Timothy J. Lee) wrote:
> >> In article . com>,

> >> If you have an OBD-II car, plug in an OBD-II scanner that can read out
> >> instantaneous fuel consumption and use it to determine what the fuel
> >> consumption is at various RPMs and speeds. However, you'll need a flat
> >> road with little traffic to conduct your experiment safely. Perhaps
> >> also a passenger reading the scanner and recording RPMs, speeds, and fuel
> >> consumption while the driver tries different RPMs and speeds.

> >Good call. It's a 98, so it should be compliant. Of course, I'd need
> >a scanner that will give me the instantaneous fuel consumption. That
> >may cost more than I could ever hope to save in fuel.

> A code scanner will always be useful, so you can't really look at it
> like that.
> --
> MFFYCam Videos Galohttp://www.geocities.com/mffycam/htt...ills.blip.tv/- Hide quoted text -

Maybe, but it looks like I'd be a few hundred into it to get one that
will give me fuel consumption and such. So far, every time I've
needed a code scanner, I've got to Advanced Auto Parts and borrowed
theirs for free. So basically I'd be spending hundreds for this
experiment, and the convience of having my own scanner instead of
driving up the street to Advanced. It's a tough sell.