Old June 18th 10, 12:05 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

Default Can Olive wait for the beep?

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 09:51:43 +0100, "GT" > wrote:

>"Zathras" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 21:37:29 +0100, "GT" > wrote:
>>
>>>Do the diesels normally drink oil? (I mean engine oil, not diesel!)?

>> No.
>>
>> There were two alleged aspects to the JTS engine that affected oil
>> consumption:
>>
>> 1/ Wide ranging mechanical tolerances.
>> 2/ Deliberate oil burning to lower cylinder temperatures and improve
>> emissions.
>>
>> IIRC, there were reports of both cases in the (earlier) JTS engines
>> but the true picture was never really established as, in the cases I
>> heard of, oil consumption just managed to stay within the
>> specification and Alfa washed their hands of them.

>Mine is definitely an early one - one of the first 2002 156 2.0JTSs - old
>exterior, new interior, 165 2.0JTS. It doesn't really use that much oil - I
>think I've gone through about 17 'topup' litres in 8 years over 88,000
>miles. Not bad really.

There were considerable variations. Yours sounds like it's got better
mechanical tolerances than some others. Lucky boy!

>Of course that's 15 litres more than some cars would
>use!!

...and..17 less than my 2.4 did in a similar life span. My top-up oil
can bought when the car was new had rusted away by the time it was
sold. That was a new experience!

>Also, about 5-6 years ago (after I moved house and the dealer garage
>was too far to go for a tin of oil) I started using 'normal' 10w40 instead
>of the 10w60 (Selenia Racing) that the manual requests. No changes to report
>on performance or efficiency after the change. I don't really hang about,
>but I've never really thrashed the car, so hard driving might make a
>difference.

<guess mode on> If you build an engine that's a bit..er..too
loose..you could escape somewhat by specifying a thicker oil (60 when
hot). However, if you're got a reasonably tight normally aspirated
engine the thinner 40 oil might well be just fine if not, arguably,
preferable. Having said that, I'd put the 60 in if the car was going
on a track, say.<guess mode off>

My personal preference is always to go with the thinnest oil I can get
away with however my current spec is a watery 0W30 (but that's not in
an Alfa BTW).

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)