Old January 17th 05, 02:37 AM
Bret Chase

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:13:15 -0800, > wrote:

>:|Snow plows for small 4x4's?
>:|
>:|I am going to either build a snow plow or purchase one. And put it on the
>:|front of a Jeep or an older K5 Blazer that I have access to. I was over at
>:|the store and there was a guy and his wife plowing snow in a Dodge 4x4
>:|diesel, long box and extended cab.

we've got one of those at work... horrible plow truck, the 900 ft
turning radius really makes it a bear to plow with.

I asked him how much he was making and he
>:|said if he hustled, he could make about $200.00/hr. Damn good money, if that
>:|is true??? I will have to ask around.

that seems to be a bit exagerated to me or he's got some really dumb
clients. going rate around here for a simple driveway is $20 a storm
that takes 10 mins max to plow. so unless they're charging a stupidly
high rate, $120/hr is possible only if there is no travel time between
jobs.

>:|
>:|12 hours of plowing at that rate would equal $2400.00. 24 hours would equal
>:|$4800.00, before expenses. We have 18" of snow here right now and these guys
>:|are working around the clock. Something to consider for next year.

sounds like a Kirby sales hiring pitch... the reality is usually far
far lower than the maximum possible earnings.

>:|
>:|Any one know of any plans available on the web for building a small plow
>:|unit for a small vehicle, such as a Jeep or a K5 Blazer or a Ford Bronco?
>:|

no, but the easiest thing is to drive around and look at used plows
for sale... I know of several in my area for sale between $200 and
$500 . you won't be able to build one for that little.

>:|I would like to keep the blade no longer that 6.5 feet wide. I like the idea
>:|of the small vehicle for being able to maneuvered easily in small areas. The
>:|weight of the vehicle should be no problem. If it's too light, I could weld
>:|in steel plates to the interior of the vehicle to offer it more traction.
>:|And I could strip out the interior of seats and carpet to do this. I noticed
>:|a lot of the guys plowing in 4x4 pickups had their boxes loaded with snow
>:|for added traction. I did not see many 'plowers' using chains at all, most
>:|likely as chains wear quickly on roads that have been cleared and are salted
>:|and sanded.
>:|
>:|Also, any reconditions for tires and gear deferential(s) for this specific
>:|application?

BFG All-Terrain K/O or Bridgestone Dueler Revo's.. I prefer the BFG's.
open differentials are all you need... if you need lockers, you're
doing it wrong.

>:|
>:|Any help or ideas here would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. I would like
>:|to get this set up for next year.
>:|

basically take it easy with your foot and let off before you hit the
snowbank (unless you really need to pile it up). a lot of guys around
here ( maine) who have just gotten a plow end up using a digital foot
(i.e. WOT or idle) and just beat the ever loving crap out of their
trucks. if I were you I'd go looking for a fixer upper plow truck.
towards the spring you'll see mid 80's 4x4's w/ plows going for
$500-$1500 which will serve you just fine.

hth,
Bret