Old January 17th 05, 01:13 AM

Default Snow plows for small 4x4's?

Snow plows for small 4x4's?

I am going to either build a snow plow or purchase one. And put it on the
front of a Jeep or an older K5 Blazer that I have access to. I was over at
the store and there was a guy and his wife plowing snow in a Dodge 4x4
diesel, long box and extended cab. I asked him how much he was making and he
said if he hustled, he could make about $200.00/hr. Damn good money, if that
is true??? I will have to ask around.

12 hours of plowing at that rate would equal $2400.00. 24 hours would equal
$4800.00, before expenses. We have 18" of snow here right now and these guys
are working around the clock. Something to consider for next year.

Any one know of any plans available on the web for building a small plow
unit for a small vehicle, such as a Jeep or a K5 Blazer or a Ford Bronco?

I would like to keep the blade no longer that 6.5 feet wide. I like the idea
of the small vehicle for being able to maneuvered easily in small areas. The
weight of the vehicle should be no problem. If it's too light, I could weld
in steel plates to the interior of the vehicle to offer it more traction.
And I could strip out the interior of seats and carpet to do this. I noticed
a lot of the guys plowing in 4x4 pickups had their boxes loaded with snow
for added traction. I did not see many 'plowers' using chains at all, most
likely as chains wear quickly on roads that have been cleared and are salted
and sanded.

Also, any reconditions for tires and gear deferential(s) for this specific
application?

Any help or ideas here would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. I would like
to get this set up for next year.