Old October 20th 05, 03:50 PM

Default BB 366 - rockers clatter; oil pressure but no oil at rockers

Ok - back again. First - I don't want to start anything here about the
distributor position, but I DID find in the Chilton's manual (big thick
hard cover one) last night a paragraph highlighted in bold and set
apart by lines that said:
"CAUTION - the distributor on some Chevey V8 engines is part of the
lubrication system and must be installed in the correct orientation or
oil will not flow the to the right cylinder bank valve train"
I will also say that this did not apply to my 366 - the oil port for
the right bank goes through the channel in the rotor housing, and
although the channel is smaller in one section I don't think it would
impede the flow. So - I think both camps are right on this.

As for last nights progress - intake pulled, pushrods removed for both
banks, lifters removed. Ran the oil pump with a drill and had good oil
flow to the fist lifter hole, where it drained down into the pan as the
lifter wasn't in there. Checked all passages between the lifter holes;
they were clear. Made decision to leave head alone and not check to
see if contact was being made to the exhaust valve because we could
believe it was - the noise wasn't that severe. New lifters put in
after soaking in oil, reset pushrod tubes, blowing each one out first.
reset valves (tighten until no up and down movement possible, then 1
turn tighter, intake back on, distributor reinstalled in same position.
Started it up; after a few minutes we had oil running down every
rocker. BUT - THE NOISE IS STILL THERE.

Let me tell you - it is not rocker noise that we here; it is somewhere
in between rod knock (loud) and rocker noise (soft and clicky). With
the motor running, if I back off the #5 exhaust rocker until the valve
is not being depressed at all, the noise almost completely goes away.

My plan now; pull the head and see if contact is being made between the
#5 piston and the valve. Pull piston and inspect wrist pin, clips, and
such. If no indication of a problem is found, I think we're going to
pull the motor and rebuild it; I'm not putting it back together in the
truck again to have it continue to make the same noise.

What do you all think?