Old May 17th 18, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Alternator connector glowing red hot after jumping veh with other battery

My 99 Explorer had been running fine. Tonight I left my lights on, killed the battery - which is about a week old from Walmart. Boosted it with another battery I have that happens to be good. Car fired up but the connection nut with the rubber boot at the top of the alternator started glowing red hot. Obviously can't run it like that.

Any ideas what's happened? Never encountered this before.

Thanks.