Old October 14th 04, 03:04 AM
Speedy Jim

Sleepy Joe wrote:

> Hi!
> I have a ‘73 VW Beetle.
> I bought an AutoZone battery and installed it on 5-28-02. I think it
> is time for a new one. With the headlights on, foot on brake
> pedal/stop lights on, and turn signals on, sometimes the turn signals
> will not blink. After charging the battery I repeat the same procedure
> and the turn signals blink or cancel like they should.
> I charged the battery last month and now I am having to charge it
> again. I think the battery may not be holding a charge. I checked the
> v-belt and it was not loose. My voltmeter indicates about 14 volts
> showing that the battery is being charged when I am driving. It may be
> because I only drive it about 10 miles, two or three times a week and
> the battery does not have a chance to get completely recharged after
> starting the engine.
> Before it gets cold out, I think I am going to shell it out for a
> Sears Die Hard Weather Handler battery, $59.95 dollars US or so as
> compared to $39.95 for an AutoZone battery.
> Would you guys recommend that I replace the battery for more
> reliability?
> Who knows, maybe it is just a corroded turn signal ground wire
> connection.
> Thanks! Any help is appreciated! jplikesm73vwbttl

What does your meter read when all the lights are on and turn signals?
That could tell if you have excessive voltage drop between battery
and dash.

Auto-Zone may test your charging system gratis. Worth asking.

Plan B: Connect the car to a trickle charger for the winter.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/