Old January 20th 11, 03:42 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Default Help me diagnose this splutter...

On 20/01/2011 12:57, GT wrote:
<snip symptoms>

>> Is it drive by wire? If so, I'd bet on the throttle pot.
>> Failing that I'd be giving the AFM a stern look.

> Yup, I believe there is a small computer between my right foot and the
> engine, instead of a cable!

Mine has a cable, alright. It's just that it carries a signal (well a
resistance really, but not sure if you can really carry a resistance) to
the ECU.

> I looked at the MAF (?) sensor in the air intake when I was replacing the
> thermostat the other week. I had never seen a MAF before and was thoroughly
> un-impressed!. I covered the top of the air intake with a cloth to avoid any
> nasties getting in there, and it all looked clean as a whistle when I put
> the hose back on. All has been fine for a few weeks since the thermostat
> replacement, so I don't think its anything that I've introduced, but
> obviously I can't say for sure!

Well the MAF on the TS was a known issue. Even if they looked OK, when
the wire got dirty, it was game over.

OTOH if it *was* the MAF, you'd maybe get issues more. I'm definiteley
leaning to the variable resistor on the throttle pedal being worn.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
#www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk