Old March 4th 05, 05:57 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 3 Mar 2005, Comboverfish wrote:

> Dexcool isn't bad as long as you don't go by (or past) the rediculously
> long intervals claimed by Havoline et al. It also helps if you don't
> have any coolant leaks that suck air ito the system.

It also helps if you only use Dexcool in systems designed for it. Dexcool
can attack some gasket and seal materials and even certain solders and
alloys. If your non-Dexcool system doesn't contain any such materials, you
probably won't have a problem. If your non-Dexcool system DOES contain
such materials, you are setting yourself up for potentially extensive and
expensive damage. I was a slow learner on this one; I had to watch Dexcool
eat three radiators, two heater cors and three head gaskets on three
separate non-GM cars, AND watch the results of dribbling some Dexcool on a
new head gasket, before it got through my head that Dexcool is not
an appropriate choice for just any ol' system.

You have to ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky?