Old February 28th 12, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Fred[_14_]

Default OBD-2

Oppie wrote:
> "Fred" > wrote in message
>>> If it's a software issue, can you update the program?
>>> I have the Autotap tool www.autotap.com which connects to the laptop by
>>> usb. Current price is $50 usd.

>> Hi Oppie
>> Well it's up to 1.5a for the firmware on it so there is hope! Maybe I'll
>> check the web site for this one. It looks just like
>> the one you have but a different maker.
>> Fred
>>

> Who is the manufacturer of your device? ELM Electronics makes some
> integrated circuit chips that convert the OBDii to other formats and
> xitech among others seem to be selling a bluetooth wireless version.
>
> Mine is USB but has a nice long cable that allows me to leave the laptop
> on the fender.
>
> With any OBDii tool, the software makes all the difference. Autotap has
> some quirks but generally I'm happy with it. Will display all codes but
> will show only the engine live data. For powertrain, body controller and
> ABS, it will only read codes. Most of the "fixable" problems are with
> the engine package so not a terrible thing. I would have liked to be
> able to read some of the other modules and to do a selective shutdown of
> injectors in order to assess health of individual cylinders (cylinder
> balance test) but need to get a MUCH more expensive tool for that. Bang
> for the buck, I really like the AutoTap. It does graphs of selected
> parameters though I haven't used that much.

I can't tell the manufacturer. There is no name on it. Just "made in
China".
You were right. With mine for the cheap price of $20.00, like yours it
just reads all the normal engine codes. The other features are greyed
out and link you to the web site. At the web-site, if you pay another
$100.00 and up you get the airbag codes and graphs and all sorts
of neat stuff. But I don't need all those things. They are nice to have
though! I'll wait and see if they have a sale on the better soft-ware.