Old February 27th 12, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Default OBD-2

"Fred" > wrote in message
>> If it's a software issue, can you update the program?
>> I have the Autotap tool www.autotap.com which connects to the laptop by
>> usb. Current price is $50 usd.

> Hi Oppie
> Well it's up to 1.5a for the firmware on it so there is hope! Maybe I'll
> check the web site for this one. It looks just like
> the one you have but a different maker.
> Fred

Who is the manufacturer of your device? ELM Electronics makes some
integrated circuit chips that convert the OBDii to other formats and xitech
among others seem to be selling a bluetooth wireless version.

Mine is USB but has a nice long cable that allows me to leave the laptop on
the fender.

With any OBDii tool, the software makes all the difference. Autotap has some
quirks but generally I'm happy with it. Will display all codes but will show
only the engine live data. For powertrain, body controller and ABS, it will
only read codes. Most of the "fixable" problems are with the engine package
so not a terrible thing. I would have liked to be able to read some of the
other modules and to do a selective shutdown of injectors in order to assess
health of individual cylinders (cylinder balance test) but need to get a
MUCH more expensive tool for that. Bang for the buck, I really like the
AutoTap. It does graphs of selected parameters though I haven't used that
much.