Old April 15th 11, 04:30 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default how do I tell which is exhaust and which is the intake valve with the intake manifold on?

"Bob I" > wrote in message

> On 4/14/2011 13:27, BSAKing wrote:

>>> Look at the runners on the intake manifold.

>> An update: I had the valve covers off and the #3 from the back on
>> the
>> passenger side on the 350 V8 chevy block was loose as all get out.
>> could adjust it down a bit and it helped remove some slap, but some
>> noise is still there. I noticed that I do not think the valve and
>> spring assembly seem to travel quite as much as the others when
>> running. The vehicle does not seem to run poorly though.
>>
>> Does this sound symptomatic of a collapsed hydraulic lifter?
>>
>> The car is garaged up here in Canada during the winter, run
>> infrequently over that time period, and the engine is all original,
>> so
>> I am thinking this is (hopefully) the cause and replacing the
>> lifter(s) would fix the problem. I change the oil myself and I have
>> not noticed any filings or debris in it, so I am hoping that this
>> does
>> not mean there is a cam lobe badly worn.
>>
>> Does this sound likely or am I just being hopeful?

> I suppose it's possible the stud is pulling out too.

About that time Chevrolet had a hot spot in the center of the valve
train due to engine temperature increase. It crystallized the oil and
ground the cam lobes down. Cure was a new cam and lifters. Had to
replace both on my '74 and '78 at about 70K.