Old January 27th 06, 12:08 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Low beam out on 1988 Quattro 5000 CS Turbo Sedan -

Steve, thank you for the response. I do know the glass was cracked on
one of the headlights, so that would necessitate a whole assembly. I
am talking about a bulb ... because the high beam works and the other
side light, just not the low beam ....

Many thanks for your extensive response!

David

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:08:19 -0500, "Steve Sears"
> wrote:

>Quisp,
>Are you talking about a headlight bulb burning out, or the glass lens
>attached to the housing breaking?
>If the bulb has burned out and the mechanic is charging $250 for the
>replacement, it sounds like he's got some boat payments to make up. The '88
>5kt has a 9003 (?) bulb that plugs into the back of the DOT light housing
>(or H4 into the back of the Euro Light reflector)
>If the glass lens is cracked, and you have "DOT" headlights, yes, you'd have
>to get a whole housing (including reflectors, lens, etc - all in one lousy
>glued together unit). The european headlights that everybody in Type 44
>(100/200/5000/V8) Audi-dom talks about have a separate (and waaaaay better)
>lens, better reflector, even an adjustment lever for when you're carrying
>lots of luggage in the trunk. The lens can be sourced separately, like from
>VM Autohaus (satisfied customer), for much less than the lousy DOT housing.
>Of course, new euros are expensive, but places like Shokan might have them
>used. I got mine used from a local wrecking yard for C$35 each, in the
>non-turbo form, but they mate up well to the V8 hood I installed last fall.
>Cheers!
>Steve Sears
>1987 Audi 5kTQ
>1980 Audi 5k
>1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
>(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

.. .