Old January 3rd 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 1994 Plymouth Acclaim check engine light

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, wrote:

> Upon closer inspection I find that the transmission sensor seemed to be
> connected properly but I pulled it off just in case and noticed that there
> is transmission fluid in the socket. Is this normal?

Nope. Something's probably broken. Note that this code won't make major
problems for you or the car; you'll just lose about 6% fuel economy over
45mph if you don't fix it.

> put it back on but I still get the error.

You'd have to clear the codes and see if the 37 comes back -- they don't
self-clear. Clearing the codes is achieved by removing the negative
battery cable for 2 minutes, then reconnecting it.

> As for the EGR
> valve, it looks to be connected properly (no hose cracks or anything), so
> should I remove it and clean it with something?

You can try, though sometimes they're so carboned up that replacement is
the only option. The EGR valve on this car connects to an EGR crossover
tube, which is a metal pipe that runs from the exhaust manifold up and
across to the EGR valve where it sits on the intake manifold. This pipe
can and does eventually become clogged with carbon, necessitating cleaning
or replacement.

> I did notice that the car
> will rev up and then go back to normal idle repeatedly while just sitting in
> park.

Not normal.

> Advance Auto wants $69 for a replacement EGR.

Probably about what you'll spend, but check
www.rockauto.com .

> Will it hurt anything if she were to drive it anywhere

A faulty EGR valve *can* cause collateral damage in addition to the
driveability and mileage reductions. This ought to be fixed.

DS