Old September 3rd 13, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default JB's hatred of BMW because a BMW driver was mean to him once

> >> side-side slip. A Quaife is a popular retrofit.
>

> > As is a switch to Audi A5 who does not play as stupid with its clientele

> > and offers an honest to gawd active diff in the ass.

> What happened to the good old Torsen differential that worked with no
>
> electronics needed?

I was referring to the active rear diff in the rear axle of the A5,
not the torsen diff between the axles.
But torsen seems to be on the way out on A4, dunno about A5.
A4 obviously has an open diff in the rear axle
no expensive active diff option is offered.

> I can see a lot of current vehicles going to the junkyard prematurely,
>
> due to the heinous cost of fixing the electronic gee-gaws when they go bad.

I'd imagine A5 will be still driveable (and marginally awd) when active diff goes caput. Just less so after that failure.

I also hate the completely electronic awd systems with not
a single mechanical diff to fallback to in case of a permanent or
a transient failure (diff overheating while soft/offroading)

but given the CAFE collar automakers have to work against
to repel JB oilcos conspiracy theories it;s no wonder
manufacturers of vehicles with mechanical diffs are dropping like flies.

Brits are toying with the idea altering their regs to allow Land Rover Defender
to stay afloat for a few years before it falls prey to the
"new and improved" regulations.

Hopefully they'll keep making it for export once the inevitable idiot
takeover takes place. Could we have a 2 or 3 real jeeps remain in
production pleeeeese?