Old September 14th 10, 11:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Default Storing a 2008 for 6 months in garage over Canadian winter...what to do?

TightFit > wrote in news:9820b590-6ac5-4cd9-82a2-
:

> I have a 2008 Fit with about 12,000 km on it, and I am storing it in
> my heated garage for 6 months over a cold, Canadian winter, I have
> been reading some posts on this group about what to do when storing
> Hondas, but would like some updated hints. Some have suggested
> disconnecting the negative wire from the battery, taking the wheels
> off, using a gas stabilizer, leaving the windows open, leaving them
> closed, etc. I purchased an 'intelligent' battery charger which only
> delivers a 2A charge to the battery if it needs it....should I use it
> to keep the battery up instead of disconnecting it?
>
> Any tips would be really appreciated because I'm not much of a
> mechanic and I do love this car.

The trickle-charger is an excellent idea. That way you don't need to
disconnect the battery.

Adding Sta-Bil to the gas is an imperative these days, so you MUST use it.
And use it according to the label on the bottle. Do not add more than
specified because you think "more" must be "better".

Other things you need to do:
1) Change the engine oil.
2) Pump-up the tires to the maximum shown on the sidewall. This will
minimize flat-spotting.
3) Make sure the gas tank is completely full.
4) After changing the oil and adding Sta-Bil, take the car for a half-hour
drive, preferably with some highway involved. This gets the engine good and
hot, plus it helps distribute the Sta-Bil throughout the gas in the tank,
and helps make sure Sta-Bil ends up in the fuel lines and the injectors.
5) Park the car, shut it off for good, and do not drive it any more.

Given that you're working with a car this new, there should be no need to
raise the tires off the ground unless you've noticed a slow leak in any of
the tires. If you suspect the tires may go flat during your absence, place
jack stands under the control arms, NOT under the rocker panels or subframe
rails. You need the suspension to stay under normal compression while the
car is idle.

--
Tegger