Old October 17th 18, 10:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Drago Giambattista Esposito

Default Homework 10 home automotive repairs starting from an oil change and ending with engine replacement

Oren

> For me, keep the list simple. Stuff you would check or have done
> before a road trip.
>
> Simple DIY @ home is not opening the engine. Is the class on basics or
> cars with computers... I'd stay simple making the list, myself.
>
> What can I do with the resources I have on hand!

The first lecture was all about the common fallacies of car repair.

His very first question on the board was "Why isn't your wife here?"
Then he asked everyone in the class that question, and we said why.
(Mine has never touched anything dirty or greasy in her life.)

As he wrote down the answers, an assistant (his kid?) passed out a sheet of
paper which had every one of the reasons we each said, already on it.

He said they're universal whenever someone doesn't want to do any job.

For tools, he said at the price of repairs now the tools always pay for
themselves, often on the first use depending on the tools & tasks.

He said learning is easier now than it ever was before, given the Internet.

He told us that anyone who tells us otherwise just doesn't like doing it
which he said was ok but for us to simply recognize it as an excuse.

I couldn't keep the homework list at 10 given the input.
How does this look, in a general order of easy to hard?

1. Oil & filter change
2. Battery replacement (standard battery setup)
3. Periodic scheduled maintenance (sometimes called a scheduled tune up)
(filters, spark plugs, wipers, hoses, pcv, fluids, tires)
4. Belt & belt tensioner replacement
5. Brake overhaul (rotors, drums, pads, shoes)
6. Cooling system overhaul (radiator, waterpump, thermostat, hoses)
7. Alternator replacement
8. Shock absorber or strut replacement
9. Starter replacement
10. Engine belt, chain guide, or engine chain replacement
11. Clutch replacement and/or automatic filter replacement
12. Remove & replace engine