Old October 17th 18, 09:57 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Xeno

Default Homework 10 home automotive repairs starting from an oil changeand ending with engine replacement

On 17/10/18 2:22 pm, Drago Giambattista Esposito wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski
>> I see no mention of spark plugs.

> I forgot all about spark plugs!
> Even though they last 100K miles, they need to be replaced.
>
> I think I'll remove the struts because someone said that struts and brakes
> don't go together (although don't struts need to be replaced as much as
> spark plugs do?).

Spark plugs are a scheduled service item. You could lump that in number
one or in whatever number you assign to a tune up.

Struts are only changed when they leak or their damping becomes
ineffective. That will depend a lot on the roads travelled.

> I'll definitely add spark plugs to a generic all-purpoe "tune up" even
> though a "tune up" doesn't seem to exist as a "thing" any more.

Just like greasing is no longer part of scheduled servicing on *cars*,
though it still exists on 4x4s, trucks and earthmoving equipment.

Some driveshafts may have a grease nipple on the universal joint that
has the least amount of angular movement on 2 piece driveshafts. There
is a reason for this.

> That "tune up" will include the filters and spark plugs and wipers and
> anything "rubbery" like hoses.

During scheduled servicing, perishable items like wiper blades, rubber
hoses, lights, even the POST lamps on the dash at key on, should be
inspected. See below for further explanation.

> With that tune up can be the simple stuff with putting air > in tires and topping off fluids.
>
> Would that work better?

No. Air in tyres, fluid top ups, wiper blade inspection, etc. all come
under periodic maintenance servicing and should be included with item 1,
oil and filter changes, as should the air and cabin filter. Could even
include a brake adjustment if the vehicle is not fitted with self
adjusters. Should also include fluid flushing - coolant, brake fluid,
auto trans, power steering. Not to forget, there may well be a filter in
the power steering that requires regular replacement.

I suggest you look at the service schedule for your vehicle. It will
list the scheduled maintenance items and the scheduled period. These may
be termed A, B and C services depending on the time interval, A being
the most frequent, C being the least frequent.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)