Old December 27th 17, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

Default '02 300M "HomeLink" feature seems to be fading.

On 12/26/2017 09:11 PM, MoPar Man wrote:
> Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
>
>> Our 300M's "HomeLink" (garage-door control) feeatures worked fine for
>> a long time but now seems to be losing its "oomph": even with the
>> front of the car almost touching the garage door we can't open the
>> door with the button in the car, but it still works with the remote
>> that came with the opener at a considerable distance. When the car is
>> *in* the garage, the buttons work OK.
>>
>> Any history of the HomeLink modules' output power declining?

> The homelink buttons in my '00 300m still working on the same overhead
> garage door opener, no change in working distance.
>
> I posted your issue over at allpar, a few responses but nothing
> specific.Â* I assume you haven't changed the door opener unit.
>
> No TSB's noted for it.
>
> Do you have sunroof?Â* Any possibility of leaks?
>
> You should be able to drop the overhead console down and have a look at
> the homelink unit.Â* Might be able to identify the antenna, see if
> there's a bad connection, bad solder joint, etc.Â* Maybe even lengthen
> the antenna?

No, I haven't changed the door opener.

No sunroof -- that's why our 300M was custom built: I couldn't get one
from stock with side airbags without a sunroof that I didn't want and a
more expensive sound system.

I've dropped the overhead console and see no sign of an antenna at all,
so I assume that it's totally internal. I did see that there was a TSB
for some 300Ms (not sure which year), the fix for which was to install a
separate -- or maybe just longer -- antenna, but I don't know the
details, and I can't see any connection points. IAC, it *used to* work
just fine.

I didn't manage to unplug the connector from the wiring harness to the
EVIC module, but I think I managed to jiggle it enough to have improved
any flaky electrical connections. (I also found that the map-light bulbs
are very dark, so I'll replace them while I'm about it; the only place
nearby that has them is NAPA: I can't find them at AutoZone or Advance
Auto.)