Old December 17th 07, 10:10 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
The Reverend Natural Light

Default '84 crossfire to carburator conversion

On Dec 17, 10:53 am, "Art" > wrote:

> 1. Emissions - 1984 was a very early stage of emission control and the
> components can be easily bypassed or disconnected completely and be similiar
> to the '79 'vette, as strictly a toy car for me I feel the emmissions issue
> is non existant as I dirve the car less than 5000/yrs tops and there are no
> emision controls where I live and if I must bypass those laws it can be done
> by either reregistering th ecar as a street rod or an antique.

You'll be dumping more hydrocarbons into the catalytic converter than
it was designed for. Be prepared for the cat to melt down or set
grass on fire. You might have to gut it, which will be yet another
crime committed.

> 2. Intake and Carb - Edelbrock has a combination that will fit under the
> hood and not force outside body alterations,so on the street it is
> invisible.

What about the air cleaner? Have a look at the air intake on a 5.2L
Jeep Grand Cherokee. It looks like it would fit onto a 4bbl carb and
might connect to the original air cleaner with some adaptation.

> 3.Valuation - the value of an '84 C4 with 128,000 miles is very limited as
> it now stands probably the maximum value is less than $5,000 a very
> inexpensive toy for a play car. With the conversion I know I could sell it
> for around $3500.00 a $1,500 loss but much less than a new toy.

It'll be a parts car when you're finished with it.

> 4. Distributor - this is kinda up in the air some say it has to be replaced
> with a vac advance distributaor and some say t does not, i will have to try
> the original first and if it don't work then replace it.

The HEI distributor will spark the plugs if you hook up the power wire
and nothing else. That doesn't mean it's working properly. It will
function in a backup mode with no mechanical or vacuum advance. So
yes, it will work and it won't work. Spend the $50 at a junkyard and
get an HEI off an old pickup truck or something. It'll look just like
the one you have but will have a vacuum solenoid.

> 5. The biggest issue is the transmission with the kickdown, most
> information is split 50/50 but it appears the the computer does not control
> the transmission and is controlled by a cable that may have to custom made
> but certainly doable I think.

Talk to Summit Racing. They'll probably have a cable and bracket to
handle the TV cable. Oh, it's not a kickdown cable. It's a "throttle
valve" cable. It handles shift points, shift firmness, and kickdown.
If you drive with the cable missing or unadjusted, the transmission
will burn up in minutes (learned this the hard way).

Summit also sells a controller for the torque converter lockup.

> 6. Digital dash - the digital (as another very attempt) will still be
> controlled by the ECM.

Someone responded to this in your last post.

> The total expenditures from Jegs (with the exception of the distributator
> and transmission) is less that $500.00

$500 for parts, plus $1500 (?) depreciation. Add the TV cable, TCC
controller, fuel pressure regulator, misc hardware.

> Please give me any comments or knowledge from your experiences.

It's your own car. Enjoy. Just please don't ever buy a ZR1.