Old January 8th 18, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

Default Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 9:10:54 AM UTC-10, Mad Roger wrote:

> This net picture seems to show the rear drum brake setup reasonably well.
> https://s13.postimg.org/hy7ga57c7/Rear_Brakes_1.jpg
>
> I wonder why they put drum brakes in this vehicle when most are disc?

Drum brakes in the rear work perfectly fine for most vehicles because most of the braking is done with the front brakes. The reason 4 wheel disks are popular are mostly because people want it because it sounds cool. The problem with disk brakes is that it's less effective as parking brakes. Some rear disk brake systems will have an integrated brake drum and separate mechanical drum brake system to use as a parking brake.

You should know that the starwheel adjuster will have left and right parts that are not interchangeable. One side will have a right handed thread.

To set the initial clearance, start with the adjuster completely in, then turn it out a couple of turns. If the drum slips on easily, turn the wheel out more turns until you feel some resistance. Once you get the drum on, step on the brake to center the shoes. You might then have to adjust the clearance some more. Set the shoe clearance until you hear some light brushing when turning the drum.