Old January 8th 18, 06:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Clare Snyder

Default Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 07:03:33 -0500, Meanie > wrote:

>> Also, only one shoe is worn, and it's the front shoe, and it's been on
>> there for 175K miles, but I wonder if the shoes can be switched, so that
>> the front shoe is in the rear and the rear shoe is in the front, since they
>> wore so unevenly (sort of like rotating tires).
>>

>Much depends on the vehicle. Many shoes are identical and it doesn't
>matter if they are placed in front or rear.

Define "many"

Only vehicles with "twin leading shoe" brakes use the same shoe front
and back - and I'm not aware of ANY vehicle built with twin leading
shoe brakes since the early seventies - and then only British
vehicles. The leading and trailing shoe are generally of different
lengths as well as often different friction materials.

> Others are specific and
>require proper position and seating. In your case, the shoes appear to
>be the same but that wear is something I wouldn't simply "rotate" with
>the other side. One side wearing more than the other is not normal and
>should be checked, repaired/replaced then install new shoes with the
>proper even thickness.

Actually it IS common - and considered normal, for the "leading shoe"
to wear differently than the "trailing shoe" on a servo type (self
energizing) brake system - which virtually all recent (modern) drum
brake systems are. the leading shoe contacts the drum, and the drag
(friction) on that shoe rotates the shoe through the linkage between
shoes, forcing the trailing shoe more firmly in contact with the drum.
This enhances the brake action beyond what would be possible strictly
by the hydraulic force from the wheel cyls.

>> But mainly I'm not sure what the procedure is for the parking brake cable.
>> Can you advise?

It generally unhooks from the activbation lever connected to the
brake shoes. On soime cars the lever unhooks easily from the shoe and
does not NEED to be disconnected from the cable

Again - I would ADVISE you (the OP) to have a mechanic properly
repair the brakes.