Old March 15th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

Default The money in traffic tickets is just wacky conspiracy theory... right?

On Mar 15, 11:39 am, (Brent P)
wrote:
> Here I go again... spreading wacky conspiracy theory.....
>
> http://www.examiner.com/a-620012~Fir...affic_bid.html
>
> <...>
>
> WASHINGTON - The Texas company under fire in the District for allegedly
> failing to maintain traffic-enforcement cameras and parking meters
> contributed thousands of dollars last year to political campaigns and
> travel by D.C. leaders, at the same time negotiating new deals with the
> city, an Examiner investigation found.
>
> Affiliated Computer Services laid out more than $20,000 in 2006,
> including a $10,600 contribution to last summer.s privately underwritten
> trade mission to Africa organized by then-Mayor Anthony Williams.
>
> City officials deny they were influenced by the money. But government
> watchdogs aren.t convinced.
>
> <...>
>
> ----------------------------------
>
> I'm just wacky thinking that these payments had any effect on the city's
> elected offfice holders... ACS probably was just being friendly,
> expecting nothing in return. It's just my paranoia that makes me think
> they were buying influence.... *snort* ACS only made millions of dollars
> from this... what's a few grand kicked back to its friends in government?

What's worse is, I just heard on the radio within the past few days
that a very significant number of meters (managed by ACS) aren't even
functional within the city, thus costing the city a decent amount of
change in uncollected parking fees.

nate