Old November 17th 18, 05:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Xeno

Default Do you know of any good iOS or Android freeware apps that performhome alignment measurements & conversions?

On 17/11/18 1:10 pm, arlen michael holder wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 16:36:06 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:
>
>> I presume you mean vehicle alignment?

> Yeah. Vehicle suspension alignment (hence the cross post to r.a.t).
>
> I realize, from the jokes thpough, which I admit are funny, that a "home
> alignment" isn't needed, except, maybe, in California after an earthquake.
>
>> Not to be negative but how many times would the average homeowner use this?

> There are six relatively common automotive tasks nobody does at home, one
> of which is vehicle alignment, so, for today, the answer is zero average
> homeowners..

You will find that average will remain at zero because wheel alignments
are not the simple tasks they once were since now it usually involves 4
wheels, not two. Get it wrong, you create a very dangerous car.

> However...
>
> Things are changing, where the phone has so much power, that you do stuff
> with the phone that you couldn't do when we were younger.
>
> One thing you can "do" with a phone is vehicle suspension alignment checks.
>
>> Since you wrote that other app write one for this.

> Actually, I've written 8 apps in the past few days...
> <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5714883androidstudio82.jpg>
> app01 === "hello world"
> app02 === "enter text, press button, shows up in next screen"
> app03 === adder of two numbers
> app04 === working port of the previous app (no small feat)
> app05 === opening of an outside activity (web browser)
> app06 === simple grocery list
> app07 === variable-seed random die cast
> app08 === Custom port of the simple grocery app to my grocery store
>
> My first "real" app will be a ten-minute timer that is so easy to set that
> it takes only a single button press, which is to forestall me burning the
> house down because setting a multi-press timer is too onerous when I make
> coffee (I've ruined plenty of pots).

They make auto off electric jugs just for people like you. No need for a
timer.

> My second real app will be a camera app that you can use while working on
> the car, where, if you've never tried the existing camera apps in low
> light, under a car, holding the starter motor in one hand (which might as
> well be a cannon ball), and then focusing with the LED flashlight, and then
> snapping the shot with gloved hands, etc., without accidentally hitting the
> "selfie" button, and without having to worry about the settings reverting
> back to what they were because you took too much time setting it up.
>
> After that, who knows ... what kind of app do you need for home-repair use?
>
>> You could write it just
>> for the sheer joy. The spec input would be quite a project. I don't see the
>> market for it as alignment machines are computerized and take specs into
>> account.

> I think you figured out my plan, which is, of course, to write the app
> (eventually); but I'm so far from being able to do that at this point that
> it's not a viable suggestion.
>
> The question is only whether you know if the app already exists.
>
>> I do not want to discourage you but a spreadsheet might be an easier task.
>> Are there spreadsheet apps for phones? I do not put apps on my phones as I
>> am confused enough with the junk that is already on there. I admit I am a
>> dinosaur.

> Sure, spreadsheets work on mobile devices, but spreadsheets are a far cry
> from an alignment app.
>
> An alignment app walks you though the steps for your particular vehicle,
> e.g., for camber, it might start with...
> o CAMBER:
> Place phone edge alongside wheel & press button when degrees stabilize.
> o TOE
> Tape laser to front wheels & enter distance to wall
>
> There are likely zero alignment apps to date, which means the market is
> wide open, but I first wanted to check.

There is a reason there are zero alignment apps - because it isn't as
simple as you make it out to be.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)