Old September 9th 14, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

Default Sway-bar bushings. Was: Low-speed suspension noises?

On 08/13/14 07:48 pm, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
> 2002 300M with Performance Handling Package. 135K miles.
>
> Not-so-loud low-pitched "clunking" noise on uneven surfaces at low speed
> -- e.g., when coasting (not necessarily braking) as I approach a red
> light or stop sign.
>
> Can't say that I've noticed the noise at higher speeds.
>
> No suspension or steering parts have ever been replaced.
>
> Where do I start looking? What might it cost me to fix? What special
> tools would I need to tackle the job myself?

I have the inner tie-rod-end bushing kit, but I decided to start with
the sway bar bushings. The bolts for the driver's side came out fairly
easily, and once they were out the sway bar moved freely and I was able
to remove the old bushing (seem,s worn more one side than the other) and
fit the new one. I don't know how to judge the torque accurately, as
there's no room to get my torque wrench in there -- was I supposed to
remove the wheel? Or maybe I can get the torque wrench in there when the
car is down off the ramps and I can turn the wheel to the left.

The first (rear) bolt on the passenger side came out fairly easily, but
the front bolt was a real pain to remove -- felt like 60 ft. lbs. to get
it to move just about all the way even with liberal applications of
Screw Loose, When I did get it out, I found that the bottom part of the
bolt had additional metal caught up in the threads, so now in what
condition are the threads into which it screws? Will merely replacing
the bolt solve the problems?

Unlike the driver's side, the passenger's side end of the sway bar does
not want to move, and the old bushing is pinched tight against the
frame. Jack up that corner and take the load off the suspension that side?

Perce