Old September 28th 10, 09:15 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

Default Anyone know how to get a Steam refund before F1 2010 goes live in

> What's FFS?

For F*ck's Sake! ;-) Maybe it's a Brit thing?

> Also, can you explain what the point you're making is?

I was frustrated by the fact that the early release in the USA made me feel like
I'd wasted my money, and I couldn't back out of the purchase. Many early reports
showed it to be 80% game, 20% sim, 100% marketing,m and 42.7% made up stats.

However the actual release *proved* I'd wasted my money! :-)

On a scale of 1 - 10 I'd put the "car on track feel" of this game at about 3, where
GTR Evo scores about 5, and iRacing -- hideous warts and all -- rates a 10 (as the
best to date).

Obviously as a simulator of the F1 driver experience F1 2010 scores much, much
higher. But without that elusive "feel" all that doesn't really interest me. I did,
however, enjoy a few laps at Singapore on Sunday to familiarise myself with that
useless track. Gawd knows how the real drivers cope with that totally unsatisfying
drive.

I am hoping that modders will find a way of doing to F1 what they did to
NFS:Shift... though in Shift I at least had some immediate gratification from the
driving model. It was a "cartoony" driving model, but it was fun in the right car &
setup. I have yet to find anything like that in F1 2010, but it does seem that a
lot of people are having fun with it, so I may just be being a bit too anally
hardcore on a softcore product.

But then the various promo vids did try hard to make it sound like there was a
decent sim under the F1 gaming surface. So I think I have some right to feel
aggrieved.

Bottom line? Save your money at this stage unless you just want a kind of animated
guide to this season's F1 tracks... what's left of them.

Andrew McP

PS I love the pits part of this. However the fact that you have zero control off
the main track leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. They Might as well have given us
a link to view pitting YouTube.