Old July 30th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
elaich[_3_]

Default Hum after rear-end gear change

"88 Mustang GT Conv." > wrote in news:a324e9b0-
:

> I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
> and should be ignored.

Then he is not the mechanic you think he is. Properly set up gears do not
make noise.

> The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
> work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
> little cost.
>
> I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
> annoying.

See above. A lot of otherwise competent mechanics do not have the knowledge
or tools to properly set the gear lash in a differential. You should take
the car to someone who specializes in working on differentials before
damage is done (if not already.)