Old May 18th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Default long block or short block?

gump87 wrote:

> hey guys i just bought a 2003 350z with auto trans and was looking into
> doing a racing engine build. i heard sgp racing was good so i was
> looking over there but they had long block and short block packages.
> i'm new to this so bare with me, ne clue on which is the one that
> matches my engine like i said i am new to this.

Friend, you need to do a LOT of learnin' before you start wasting lots
of money. "Long block" refers to a replacement engine complete with
cylinder heads, valve train, etc. A "short block" is just the engine
block with crankshaft, connecting rods, bearings, and pistons installed,
waiting for you to bolt on YOUR cylinder heads with timing system and
valve train.

Either will require you to install all your accessories (wiring
harnesses, alternator, starter, PS pump, belts, air conditioning, and in
some cases oil pan, valve covers, and other "tinwork") when you put it
into the car.