Old August 12th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rob P

Default How long will iRacing survive as subscription service?

"Larry" > wrote in message
> You really do not want to pay per month. The first month to try it out?
> Sure. But after that if you decide you are going to do it, DO IT!
>
> Buy the full year. It drops the price down to $13 a month ($156 for the
> year) AND:
>
> 1. You get $60 iRacing credit to spend as you wish for future purchases
> (cars, tracks or if anything is left over, your next subscription year if
> you wish).
>
> 2. Don't forget, there are discounts for buying things in groups. I
> believe 6 items (cars or tracks) net a 20% discount.
>
> $13 a month is less than a single pizza, delivered. Think about it
>
> Considering the investment JH & Co have put into this, it is not really
> that expensive. Frankly, I was sure it was going to cost twice this much.
>
> -Larry

The year package is certainly a pretty good deal. The only problem is that
my family and I suspect most others, operate on a monthly budget and $156 is
quite a whack from one month. In addition, I wouldn't buy an annual package
until the sim has been out a while.

Didn't know about the discounts on buying the extras and that is certainly
welcome news.

I still think, despite the work that's gone in, that the subscription should
cover the cost of the vehicles and tracks. Maybe I'm to used to MMO's where
one buys the game, subscribes for 16 dollars or so and gets pretty much all
the content, plus new regular content and the publisher keeps track of
various leagues like PvP.

Despite this, iRacing must have got their sums right, as it is very likely
that I will be staying, even at the $20 a month model...

RobP