Old April 13th 11, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Automatic vs. Manual transmission

On Apr 11, 8:45*pm, "SBH" > wrote:
> It's been well known a manual transmission obtains better fuel mileage than
> an automatic. My sister is preparing to purchase a Ford Fiesta and wants a
> manual, mainly for the fuel savings. The sales guy indicated the new
> transmissions (more so the 6 speed auto in the Fiesta) are better and more
> fuel efficient than manuals. Anyone know if this is true?

I did a short review of those just now. I don,t know what the fuss is
about. In my 2001 cavalier I have got 34 mpg doing average of 65 mph
up and down hills. On the flat I should get minimum of 36 mpg doing
55mph, Mabe more. My chevy has a 4 speed, but hear a 5th noise, maybe
lockup.

Greg