Old February 18th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

Default Need ways to start a car with a dead battery.- 92 Civic Auto.

In article >,
Mike Romain > wrote:

>On 'modern' vehicles, if you disconnect the battery, the open ended
>alternator surge 'will' destroy the computer, ignition module, stereo if
>turned on and any other electronic part active before the alternator
>itself smokes out.

No, it won't. I've had a battery terminal corrode through and nothing
of the sort happened. Granted, that was not a completely modern car
(electronic ignition, but carbeurated). I've also run a modern car
with a battery which was damaged and not taking a charge; while the
gauges acted erratically and the car idled badly, it was not instantly
damaged.
result in a fully-depreciated one.