Old August 12th 05, 08:39 PM
Choder

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:02:00 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Choder > wrote:
>> I was thinking of buying one of these things, but I wanted to
>> investigate the extended warranty since german cars aren't really
>> known for their reliability. I dont want to own a money pit.

>An extended warranty is a form of insurance, and therefore not sold at a
>loss. So to benefit from buying one you have to be more unlucky with
>problems than the average.
>
>I didn't take up the offer on my E39, and am many hundreds of pounds
>better off as a result.
>
>Others will have different stories. ;-)

I think that's generally true. But as I said in an earlier thread, I
seem to have worse luck than average with regard to reliability.

Also, I like not running into expensive surprises, I'd prefer to
operate on a fixed monthly budget that stays relatively constant.
Even if paying for repairs out of pocket turned out to be a few bucls
more than paying for repairs as they arise, I like avoiding the stress
of an expense here, an expense there, etc.