Old March 31st 13, 02:51 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
harry k

Default Family Survives High-Speed Crash Caused by Hogs

On Mar 31, 5:48*am, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> On 03/30/2013 11:38 AM, Harry K wrote:

> >> Well, a courteous driver would treat them light high beams and shut them
> >> off when oncoming traffic was present... but then again this is 'murrica
> >> where we apparently can't deal with things like high beams, fog lights,
> >> and especially rear fogs...

> >> nate

> >> --
> >> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

> > The problem there is that if you are using them to drive fast, when
> > you shut off for oncoming traffic, you are "overdriving your lights".

> Sometimes, sometimes not. *Often when I dim my lights for an oncoming
> car but I don't have to slow much if at all because the oncoming car's
> headlights are illuminating the road past where I can see well by the
> light of my own low beams. *So at that point I can just lift off and by
> the time the oncoming car has closed to the point where I need to slow,
> I already have. *Then once he's passed I kick the highs back on and get
> back up to speed.
>
> > Even out here in what would be considered 'very light' traffic, it is
> > rare to be able to drive more than a mile or so on a two lane road
> > without meeting traffic. *My low beams get a LOT more time than the
> > highs do.

> > Harry K

> I almost never can use the brights locally, but it seems like whenever
> I'm traveling somewhere it's always at night, so having good headlights
> really does save time by not forcing me to travel below the speed limit.
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I usually cruise between 55-60 at night and don't slow down for the
oncoming traffci even though I know I am way over the lights when one
is close. Someday it will bite me.

One of my best cruises was a night portion E/R PNW to South Texas. No
traffic to speak of and a full moon.

Harry K