Old September 5th 11, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Daniel who wants to know

Default What's burning out the radiator fan relay, 98 Grand Voyager 3.0?

"mark" > wrote in message
> When we bought the van a few years ago, the check engine light was on.
> The diagnostic at AutoZone indicated possible fan relay, among other
> things I had to fix. Replaced the relay, fans worked fine for 3
> months, Same thing, got a relay from a dealer this time, 3 months or
> so, I'm replacing it for the 3rd time. What's causing it to burn out?
> The plastic on the connector at the pin 1 ( ? ) contact is a bit
> melted. Help! These relays ain't cheap...
> Mark Goodall

They aren't relays at all, the rad fan on 3rd generation Chrysler vans are
all variable speed and what they call a "relay" is actually an electronic
PWM motor speed controller with a big power MOSFET in it. If it is
overheating the fan is likely overamping or the "relay" might need to be
bolted to something that is better at getting rid of heat, like an old
computer CPU heatsink.